Disability camps in West Bengal
TILL DATE Niswarth has extended above help to 4512 disabled persons which accounts for approx 10% of the total disabled in the target area. This covered a population of 15 lacs in 221 tea estates and large no of neighbouring villages arranging Disability cards for 4512 persons, 330 wheel chairs, 208 Tricycles, 188 crutches, 1154 hearing aids, 45 A.F.O. and 135 blind sticks. This amounts to social benefits to the extent of Rs. 1, 73, 57,750/-
- Surveying gardens population ( Each garden population approx. 5-10,000 ) to identify the Disabled Preparation of each camp took 5-6 months before the distribution of Disability cards and Aids/Appliances
- Getting them register
- Choosing a central garden as a convenience place for holding a camp
- Coordinating with District Magistrate, Medical Director, DDRC and other officials
- Arranging transport to bring the Disabled and accompanying family member
- Arranging screening of the disabled with panel of Govt doctors
- Following up with Medical Director,DDRC for completion of disability cards
- Following up with the District administration for distribution of Disability cards, Various AIDS & Appliances (wheel chairs, tricycles, hearing aids, walking sticks etc)
Disability camps in Assam
- Preparation of each camp took 5-6 months before the distribution of Disability cards and Aids/Appliances.
- Surveying gardens population (Each garden population approx. 5-10,000) to identify the Disable
- Getting them to register Choosing a central garden as a convenience place for holding a camp
- Coordinating with District Magistrate, Medical Director, DDRC and other officials.
- Arranging transport to bring the Disabled and accompanying family member.
As gardens are located in remote areas, medical facility is not easily available and a tea garden resident/villager has to travel 50-150 kms to get access to a proper hospitals including eye checkups/testing/cataract surgery. Niswarth arranged complete eye check up Free of Cost including travel to Siliguri.
- Niswarth arranged Eye camps in collaboration with Lions Netralaya in 52 gardens
- 11,268 persons 50-150 kms away from Siliguri town were given complete eye check up
- 1797 Cataract patients were taken to Siliguri and surgery performed free of cost
- 3,045 spectacles were given with nominal cost
- 7,095 persons were given free medicines Social benefits to the extent of Rs. 65, 57,250/- extended to 11,268 persons
Free dental camps were arranged by Niswarth bringing complete medical facility, doctors, and equipments to 5 tea gardens free of cost located up to 120 kms from Siliguri. However this could not be extended to more gardens due to paucity of funds.
- Total of 386 persons of 5 Tea Gardens were benefited.
- 350 persons were treated for Tooth Fillings.
- 350 tooth extractions were done.
- Medicines were given to 200 persons.
- Social benefits to the extent of Rs. 1,50,650/- extended to 386 beneficiaries.
Blood Donation Camp's
These camps helped the underprivileged section of our society by way of giving blood donation certificates having long term validity which could be used for giving blood to any of the persons of the family or friends free of cost for medical treatment in the nearby city. It was a matter of great satisfaction that for the first time, tea garden women came forward to give blood in our camps.
- Blood donation camps were organized in 30 tea gardens for tea garden workers
- Neighboring village population
- 710 donors gave blood and receiving certificates having long term validity
- Social benefits to the extent of Rs.7,81,000/- were extended to the beneficiaries